Saturday, October 9, 2010

Range Rover 4.0/4.6 (P38) Coil Conversion

6:03 AM by onesecond ·
The second generation Range Rover 1995-2001 P38 came with an electronic air suspension (EAS) system and solid axles. The EAS system works wonderfully when functioning correctly, but can be a liability when problems occur, especially if on the trail. I wanted to completely eliminate the EAS system and at the same time lift the P38 so that it would perform better off-road. The first step is to install an EAS to spring conversion kit and two companies offer them for the P38, Atlantic British and Motorcarsltd. Both kits basically provide you with new upper and lower coil spring seats where the air springs once were mounted.
I am not going into detail about the installation of the EAS conversion kit, but it is a very easy and straight forward installation. Here is a link for the Atlantic British installation instructions:
The installation of the Motorcarsltd kit is very similar, the only difference is the Motorcarsltd kit utilizes a one piece spring seat, while the Atlantic British kit utilizes stock Land Rover spring seats along with a spring perch adapter. My 96 RR has the Motorcarsltd kit, but the Atlantic British kit should probably yield similar lift results. I am also currently running Bilstein B46-2214 shocks in the front and B46-2215.
LIFT
What I did was basically replace the coil springs that came with the conversion kit with Old Man Emu (OME) springs, added a front shock relocation bracket, and installed longer sway bar quick disconnect links. I had no idea how much lift I would get from installing OME springs so it was a shot in the dark. I chose OME 761 Passenger Side (PS) medium duty springs for the front and OME 781 (PS) md/hd springs for the rear. I was very pleased with the 781’s in the back of my 92 RRC so I decided to try these again on the P38. I have 751’s in the front of the RRC that has an ARB and winch so I figured 761’s might be a good choice for the P38 as it only has the stock bumper. Again I am not going into detail about installing springs as it is already well documented, pretty much the same as any spring install but here are a few pointers:
Front Springs: Remove bottom shock bolt and sway bar links so that you can drop the axle as low as possible. Watch your brake lines. You can then install the OME springs in without a spring compressor. Remove or trim the front mudflaps if you have them as they will interfere under certain conditions if you fit larger tires.

Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive