Monday, October 4, 2010

Air Condition Installation in a LBC

5:47 PM by onesecond ·
By: Gerald Medford. Why would anyone want to install an air conditioning system in a LBC? My answer would have to be…. The challenge of taking an aftermarket product and installing it into an LBC to make it look like a factory installed option and to make my co-pilot more comfortable. My co-pilots comfort probably has more to do with it than anything. After all guys that’s what we are here for isn’t it? I guess that could be debatable but life is so much better when they are happy. Oh Yea! When they are happy everybody is happy. Why did LBC’s not have air installed at the factory? Well, from what I hear there was not much of a demand for air over in Brit country. Something about the cool damp weather over there. They did add air to some of the cars back in the 70’s. The compressors were about as big as a four cylinder engine. Now the units are much smaller and more compact.
The air condition installation in my 1973 MGBGT restoration project has prompted more questions than anything about the car. The car is equipped with lots of extra add-ons like the Five Speed Ford Sierra transmission, electric windows, and Fiero seats. When I attend car shows around the southeast I am questioned about the air conditioning more than anything. I attended the MG 2006 held in Gatlinburg Tenn. The most rewarding part of that show was not winning 1st place in the GT Division but the response from other “British Car Crazy Guys” about my air condition installation. I came back to my car after viewing other show cars and found cards and notes stuck under my windshield wiper with questions about the system Its fun walking up to the car at a show with a group of guy’s standing around the GT discussing the air installation.
It’s a kit! Simple. Just purchase it, take it home, bolt it on and ride around with cool air going up one britches leg and down the other. Life is good! Well it’s not quiet that simple. Yes it is a kit and can be purchased at Southern Rod www.southernrods.com in Greenville, S.C. for an affordable price of around $650.00. I noticed that Moss has a new kit in their catalog offered at $1795.00.You can go on their web site www.mossmotors.com and see their 54 page air conditioning system installation. Included in Southern Rod’s Super Frost kit is an air compressor, evaporator, dryer, mounting bracket, hoses and fittings, condenser, and some vents.
The challenging part is taking all these pieces and putting them into an LBC and making it look like it’s a factory installation. You’ve heard the term “10 lbs. of potatoes in a 5 lb. sack”. It can be done though. Mounting the compressor is probably the most complicated part of the installation and will vary from car to car. I mounted my compressor just above the right motor mount and used a blank adapter plate mounted to the front of the engine.

Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive