Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Boxster Convertible Top Canvas R & R DIY

Removal and Replacement of the Boxster convertible top. I never started out to remove and replace the convertible top on my 1998 Boxster but I always believe in researching and understanding a repair prior to getting quotes on it. My Boxster is my seventh Porsche always buying them used and it co-resides next to my “retro” Boxster, a 1971 914. The 914 taught me that when Porsches get old they are still loved as much as those rolling out of the local dealership and that a place like Pelican Parts tech reports can offer a simple alternative to finding someone who might know about your “older car” or a dealership that might know about your car. I have used the 914 tech reports and forums to fix, replace and keep driving my “retro” Boxster. When my Boxster back window finally gave up enough of its plasticizer to crack and split after eight years in the California sun, the first place I went for guidance was the Boxster tech section. I found that there was no help on “doing it myself”. I have replaced tops twice before on previously owned MGB’s which primitive, manual tops available from many OEM sources. Those tops like the ones found a lot of other small roadsters seem to cost between $200 and $400 dollars and are rather simply put on by any patient owner. I also tried repairing the back window with one of those “window replacement” deals selling you “everything you need to sew in a new window”. It did not work well and after two days with bloody fingers sewing through that incredibly tough German canvas, it leaked and looked bad………………so on to the total top replacement.

pdf source: http://images.wikia.com/boxster/images/e/eb/DIY_Boxster_Conv_Top_Canvas_R_R.pdf

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive